Biomedical Masters Program


Prospective Applicants & Applicants

When can I apply for the BMP?

The BMP application becomes available October 1.

When is the deadline to submit my BMP application?

The BMP application deadline is June 1.


What is the GPA requirement for the BMP?

The BMP requires a minimum GPA of 3.0, and a recommended GPA of 3.3 or above.

What funding is available through the BMP?

The BMP offers a limited number of scholarships to selected students that cover only a portion of the tuition costs. Most students finance their education by utilizing Federal Direct loans (unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS), and/or private education loans.

Information on Federal options can be found at Private education loans are available through the websites of individual lenders. Private loans are typically issued in the student’s name and require a credit check. A credit worthy cosigner, who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, may be needed if the student’s credit is not sufficient. Students should compare interest rates, fees, and repayment options such as deferment and forbearance. Maximum loan amounts, loan terms, borrower qualification, repayment schedules, and interest rates vary among lenders. Some private education loans may require interest payments while the student is enrolled in school.


What prerequisite coursework is required for the BMP?

Required Courses for BMP areas of concentration can be found on our Health Professions Prerequisites page.


Do I need to upload my official transcripts in my BMP application?

During the application process, we only require unofficial transcripts for all post-secondary institutions attended, whether or not a degree is granted.  Official transcripts for all schools listed on the application are required for all applicants who are offered admission and accept the offer. Official transcripts are required to be submitted prior to orientation in August.

Does the BMP accept letters of recommendation through Interfolio?

Yes. Please have your letters of recommendation sent electronically to

Do I have to submit MCAT, GRE, or DAT scores?

Standardized tests scores are not a prerequisite; however, the scores of tests taken prior to, or throughout the application process should be reported.

Am I guaranteed acceptance into the programs where the BMP has Linkage agreements?

All Linkage agreements follow the requirements of the professional program with which the BMP has an agreement, and is subject to all admissions criteria of the professional program. Refer to our linkage information for additional details.


I hope to be eligible for linkage through Pitt-Dental. When does my DAT have to be completed?

The deadline for the DAT for linkage candidates is December 15.


How long does it take to complete the BMP?

The BMP is designed to be completed within three semesters: fall, spring, and summer. No more than 15 credits may be completed in each of the fall and spring semesters, and a minimum of two credits are required during the summer semester.

What are the success rates for BMP students to be accepted into medical, dental, PhD, or other professional programs, or job placement?

BMP students have demonstrated strong success in their applications to continued education.


Admitted Students

Where should I send my official transcripts?

University of Pittsburgh
School of Medicine
Graduate Studies Office
3550 Terrace Street
M240 Scaife Hall
Pittsburgh, PA  15261

We also accept transcripts via Interfolio. Please have your transcripts sent electronically to

What funding is available through the BMP?

Please refer to the answer in the Prospective Applicants & Applicants section above.

*What documents do I need to complete for financial aid?

If you are taking out a Graduate PLUS loan, you must complete a separate entrance counseling and a separate master promissory note. Both may be completed at

*Please be sure to contact the Admission & Financial Aid Office regarding any additional documents that are required to finalize your information.

I have more financial aid questions. Who do I contact?

Your best resource for financial aid inquiries is the Admissions & Financial Aid Office.
Phone: (412) 624-7488

When will I receive an invoice for my tuition and fees?

The Student Payment Center (SPC) lists all notifications and due dates of when you will receive your invoice. Students must be enrolled in courses prior to receiving a bill.

When will I receive my student ID card (Panther Card)?

Registered students are eligible to pick up their cards from Panther Central on or after August 1. Cards will be printed for students who present a valid government issued photo ID (passport, driver’s license, state ID, etc.).


I was an undergraduate student at Pitt and I still have my Panther Card. Do I have to exchange it for a new one?

For students who have a current ID, it is recommended to contact Panther Central to ensure that you have the most up-to-date version of your ID card.

Am I able to work while in the BMP?

The BMP carries a heavy course load for students which includes master’s level science courses and experiential learning requirements. It is at the student's discretion if he or she would like to work while in the BMP.


When does the BMP have holiday breaks?

The BMP runs along the same academic calendar as the rest of the university. Please refer to the most recent academic calendar to find out information regarding university closures.


How long does it take to complete the BMP?

Please refer to the answer in the Prospective Applicants & Applicants section above.


Do I need textbooks for my classes?

Our core courses do not require textbooks. If there is information that you need, it will either be available online or given to you as a supplemental document during the course.

Depending on the other courses that you select, you may be required to purchase a textbook.